We recently went to Daisy's second Birthday party where we got to make home-made ice cream and eat pizza! Toby only had a bowl of ice cream with toppings, some of mommy's ice cream sundae, and then his own ice cream cone complete with more toppings! It was a great party and we can't believe litter Daiser (our nickname for her) is 2!!! And...today is Markie's (Toby's nickname for Marcus) 5th Birthday!
Toby has been helping out a lot with everyday chores and clean-up around the house and around town. He has gotten really consistent when telling us there is something wrong with his leg. He will now say "uh-oh" just before it gets ready to fall off. I was in Publix the other day and was at the register checking out. I realized I forgot something so I grabbed Toby and went running down the aisle. I slowed down so I wouldn't run over a man walking in the middle of the aisle, and Toby with perfect timing says, "uh-oh" - then I hear the crash! It's a pretty loud sound because it's so heavy and hard. His leg didn't only come off, it came flying off and I had to look for it! Only everyone in the aisle (3-4 people) stopped to stare. I guess that's what I get for running through the store with a son with a prosthesis that can slide off when there's no pressure on it from standing.
Prosthesis Tidbit of the Week:
Did you know our son wears pantyhose? That's right! The prosthetic socket is covered with pantyhose so that is slips easily into the shell (leg). Every month or so I have to remove the old pantyhose, clean the socket with acetone nail polish remover, and glue new pantyhose on it with rubber cement. Sounds fun, huh? Well ...it's not that bad. I can do it when he's asleep so we have a new clean fresh nubby socket first thing in the morning. When Toby gets bigger and there are other leg options to choose from, we most likely won't have to worry about pantyhose on sockets anymore:) I'd hate to have to tell his girlfriend when he's 10 that he has pantyhose on:)
No comments:
Post a Comment