After waking at midnight with back labor back enough for constant rubbing from Ronnie, I was upset I didn't get more than an hour of sleep and decided to just get up. Ronnie I walked around the bedroom while watching HGTV to see if the contractions would get closer and stronger. Sure enough - after 30 minutes - I told Ronnie maybe we should call Diana (my midwife). Ronnie wanted to wait and time them for 30 more minutes. At 1am, we both knew Sunday was the day, and we called Diana to come over. We then called the whole family and Celeste (our nanny and training doula). Heather had to drive from Cape San Blas where she was with the kids on vacation.
Diana came at 1:30pm and the atmosphere was pleasant. It was nice to hear when she came over that I was already 7 centimeters. Remember the contractions I've been having for weeks? Almost two weeks prior to Grayson's birth I was 4 cm... so my body was working hard all this time. We were joking around in between contractions. Around 2am, I couldn't walk anymore...and it was time to lay down. I heard Dad talking to Heather on the phone sometime soon after that. Apparently she was treating red lights light blinking red lights in Crawfordville. She got pulled over for speeding 20 mph over the limit and the best part is...she left the beach with Daisy with her camera but forgot her wallet and registration. She used the "my sister's having a baby" story...which was appropriate I thought and I offered to talk to the cop. He let her off with many warnings and small fees.
Sometime right before 3am, Diana checked me and I was 8 cm...after much dilemma...I told her to break my water and lets get moving. I was very tired and scared of the coming pushing phase. I wanted this all to be over and I wanted my reward! I was immediately 9cm. "Where is Heather," I asked. "Get her here now!" Mom told her on the phone that they broke my water and let's just say she didn't slow down. She got here in just under 2 hours.
The room now had Mama, Papa, Heather, Daisy, Diana, Sam (birth assistant), Celeste, Ron, and I. Oh...and Grayson! Can you believe Toby slept down the hall in his room the entire labor and birth?! After the water breaking the contractions were so close, I think I only had 30 seconds to rest. I thought it was taking forever!!!
During the transition to the pushing stage, I looked over and saw 4 people - other than myself - sitting on the bed. I pointed to Diana and asked, "what are you doing?" "Why is she sitting there," I asked Heather. It freaked me out that she (along with others) were sitting on the bed with gloves on staring at me. The room went silent, everyone chuckled, and Diana said, "I'm here to catch a baby?!" I was like, "oh...is it time?" She said I made a pushing sound with that last contraction...so it was game on!
I pushed for 45 minutes. Heather was my biggest target and I wouldn't let her get far away from me. I grabbed her neck, pulled her hair, bit her, and almost ripped her shirt off! I did really...but it wasn't that bad:) Heather was helping me through the pushing because I never got "the urge" (again) like everybody else gets. I even slapped myself in the face to get it together and get Mr. Grayson out.
Grayson was born at 5:14am. Ronnie woke up Toby at 7 and told him Grayson was here. His eyes lit up and he couldn't wait to see him. He got up in bed and was so sweet to Grayson - touching his head and giving him kisses. It was time to go to bed around 8:30am and everyone began to leave. Papa was taking Toby to his house and as Toby was climbing down the stairs, he yelled, "bye baby brother Grayson"! How adorable!

Love - The Kings
1 comment:
Kaley,
You are an AMAZING woman!
Can't wait to see everyone and meet Grayson!
Hugs and kisses to all!
:)
Tracy
Post a Comment