Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The First Ten Days

The past 10 days have been really good. Grayson's first check up at the Pediatrician on the Monday after his birth went well! He went down to 7lbs. 4 oz. and had jaundice significantly worse than Toby. The doctor we saw gave us a prescription to get a bilirubin blanket for him. After picking it up that night...Ronnie and I both agreed we weren't using that crazy contraption you had to attach to him and plug into a machine for 24/7 unless it was really medically necessary. My milk was coming in and as soon as I could fill him up and have him excrete the excess bilirubin, I knew he would be fine. At our next check-up on Tuesday, the levels had gone up. Baby Grayson literally nursed all day and we sat outside in indirect sunlight. On Wednesday, the jaundice level started to go down and we were home free.

Grayson is perfect and I am so in love. I never would have thought I could have 2 perfect boys! It's hard to predict how you are going to feel about the second child. Will I love him as much? Will I treat him differently? Will I have time for the first born? It's complicated and even more rewarding to know that you can love so many people so many different ways and so much! I can see how Jesus loves everyone...there's always enough love to go around!

Grayson's sleeping 3 hour stretches at night and nursing was tough at the beginning but it's getting better. He's a pretty pink and never did have any bad peeling or acne. When he is awake, he just stares at us and listens to all the commotion going on. We are changing somewhere around 15-20 diapers a day! Whoa - that's a lot of poo.

Toby's mood swings have largely been in part to Grayon's arrival. The other half has something to do with him being 2 1/2. Ronnie thinks that Toby thought that when Grayson got here, he would be like him - able to play and big enough to run around with. He's had some major meltdowns and highs and lows which is completely understandable. Each day he gets a little better. He just doesn't understand why he doesn't have both our attention all the time like he's used to. We must admit - he's been a bit spoiled:) Toby is very kind and gentle to Grayson. He just takes out his frustration with mommy and daddy. I am confident things will get better.
There is a whole new meaning of "not enough time" for me. The days are flying by. I wanted to write this blog on Saturday - his one week birthday...but as you can see...it's Tuesday. I can totally see how stay at home moms with more than one kid can never get anything done. It's been different but good. It's a real blessing having my boys - all 3 of them - and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.










Toby's end of the year school program was Monday. All 8 in his class sang and danced on stage. There was even his art on display! He made us very proud and we can't believe how much he's grown up over the past year in school.

Toby gave us a plate he colored with markers and a wonderful Father's Day poem. Ronnie had to bring a trace of his foot in for Toby's homework two weeks ago. Toby made a footprint inside of Daddy's and added an awesome poem about following in daddy's footsteps. It made tears of joy roll down my face. I know I got overly emotional...but it has a different meaning for us than it does to others. It was a great show and very thoughtful, meaningful gifts:)
There's a fun video below:) Enjoy!









No comments: