This blog post is simply to just update you guys and gals about what our boys are doing AND to share a touching story. Grayson took his first real steps Friday night. He took 3 steps and then stood there amazed...then fell forward. He laughed and laughed. He was so proud of himself. Today he took 10 steps and then sat down. The three of us screamed hooray. I thought it would never come...but finally - LOOK OUT...he's going to be chasing after brother in no time.
Toby is enjoying the summer break and getting better with his nubby walking and one leg hopping. He can hop all the way across a room on one leg. That's great balance for a 3 year old. He now climbs the stairs without his leg on too. He steps foot then nubby then foot...etc. It's pretty amazing.
The most touching story happened tonight in the bath tub and I couldn't wait to share it with all of you. I just finished undressing both of them and placing them in the water. I began washing Grayson - which Toby always makes me do first. Toby asked, "Mommy, where's my other foot?" "What honey?" I questioned, wondering if I heard him right. "Where's my other foot?" He asked, while holding the end of his nubby. I was totally taken off guard with this question that came out of nowhere. I said,"well, God made you that way. You have a special nubby. (pause) I wish I had a nubby." He smiled at me and said, "Thank You." "What?" I asked, confused. "Why are you thanking me?" "Thank you for my prosthetic." He replied. I was so in love in that very moment that my little guy could be so mature and wonderful that I, of course, began to weep. Ronnie came into the bathroom to get them out and I left so he wouldn't see me upset. At first a little weep...then my emotions came flooding in like a river overflowing. Remembering all the feelings I had when the amputation first took place and wondering how I would and could ever explain to Toby (although I thought he would've been older) that he was a special person and he's no different than anyone else.
Life was going on like normal tonight. We were getting ready for the first day of Horse Camp tomorrow and then this. Hit me upside the head! I knew the questions were going to come...but I wasn't necessarily expecting it tonight. I am ready now. Bring it on! Ready to face the world and all the questions my kids will ask!
Cheers to life and the crazy things kids throw at us!
2 comments:
I love this story Kaley! Thanks for sharing ... and congrats to you on handling such a delicate question with such grace. I would have teared up too. That was so mature of Toby! I actually love when my kids come up with the tough questions. Makes me really think, even though I often muddle around a bit answering them! :) Happy hopping, happy walking ... Happy Summer!
This is amazing Kaley! So happy for you that your little guy shared that with you. I am sure it was tough, but you should be so proud as to how amazing he is. Hope you guys are doing great!
Post a Comment