Wednesday, December 9, 2009

In Just One Week!

Ronnie and I can't believe what has happend in just one week!!!

Last Tuesday night we took away the crib in our room and put up Toby's big boy bed - which is just a twin mattress - on the floor.

Last Friday night I laid down with him in his new bed and he went to sleep without nursing.

I had decided that his 2nd birthday party would be a "No more yummies party" but I had no idea what my little Toby was up to. He decided it was time and he was done. Two days went by. Three days went by. He asked briefly Sunday afternoon but was easily distracted. I laid down with him again that night and no word of it. He went off to sleep in his big boy bed all by himself.

Monday - Toby asked me several times in the afternoon after his nap for yummies. At this point there's no going back. It was time for me to enforce what he started and I simply told him that yummies are all gone. The baby made mommy's milk go away. He kissed my belly, tried to feed the baby by stuffing cheerios in my belly button, and then never looked back when I gave him a "smoodee" - which is his favorite - banana milk:)
Monday night during the night, Toby called out for daddy once and Ronnie laid down with him. For the first time in 23 months (Sunday was his 23 month bday) he didn't call out mommy and I didn't feel jabs from him crawling over me in the middle of the night.

WOW - too good to be true, right? It gets better!

Yesterday Ronnie put together the rest of the big boy bed. Toby got Freeman's (me-me's) old low twin frame, short box spring, and blue headboard. Toby was so exicted about it. We pushed it against the wall and put up the bed rail. Mama and papa brought over his new quilt that has a camping theme with bears, trees, jeeps, boats, squirrels, etc. The big boy bed was now complete!

Last night Toby was fighting sleep in his bed. I laid down with him but it didn't work. He wanted to wrestle. After 30 minutes, I told him daddy was going to lay down with him. He was happy at first. I heard a 20 second cry and then it was quiet. Daddy told him a story about a little boy who goes to school and his daddy picks him up and gives him snacks, which is ironically just what daddy does:) 10 minutes later he was fast asleep.

That was the first night EVER Toby has gone to sleep with anyone but me. Even if Ronnie and I were out late, Toby would wait up until I got home - and still be happy to see me and nurse!

I woke up this morning before the alarm went off and realized that Toby didn't call out for me or daddy last night. He slept through the night (well - after going to bed at 10pm!) ...in his bed, away from us, without nursing, and all by himself!

The anticipation of all of this coming has caused much anxiety on mommy. I've been so worried for such a long time that I was going to have to cut him off kicking and screaming - not just from nursing but getting out of the habit of climbing over to our bed from the crib in the early morning. Looks like he fooled me. He decided what the plan was going to be... after I spent months trying to plan it! He ended up making me cry for days! Crazy boy! Guess it won't be the first time we have a big plan for Toby and he changes it for us!

1 comment:

Amy Fitz said...

awe....what a big boy he is! :) I am so glad the process was quick and easy for you guys! ~Amy